Friday, May 8, 2020

I Run With Maud

Today I ran 2.23 miles in the cold rain around my neighborhood on an upset stomach. It was windy. I was tired. It wasn’t that much fun. But it’s much more comfortable than being an unarmed, innocent black man who is stalked and then murdered by armed, white vigilantes.

It's been eight years since the tragic death of Trayvon Martin and very little has changed.

It shouldn’t be a privilege to be able to run in any public neighborhood I want without fear of violence. It should be a basic right held by everyone in America. Sadly this is not the case.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to set out on a routine run only to realize I'm being followed. Followed by grown men whose skin color is different than mine. In a neighborhood where nearly all residents' skin color is different than mine.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to face these men in confrontation. Outnumbered, both of them pointing loaded firearms in my direction. Scared for my life.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to wrestle for control of a shotgun and feel at close range the muzzle's hot blast as a lead slug enters my body.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to collapse on the sidewalk while a second bullet makes its mark, taking my last breath in a mass of agony, confusion, horror.

All of this because I left my house on a routine run like I've done hundreds of times before.

Because I was born white I will never have a run end this way. I will always reasonably expect to arrive home safely, load my run to Strava, and continue with my life. Ahmaud Arbery was not so lucky as to be born with white skin.

No one should have to fear this happening to them. No one should lose their loved one in this manner.

#irunwithmaud



No comments:

Post a Comment